Another hard to reproduce one – but I think we may have actually solved this one. (after a fair amount of pain it has to be said)
Open a new Excel 2007
Open 2 wbs and save them as .xlsms.
In one put some text in one cell
in the other link to that cell.
Save and close both. (perhaps in a trusted location, and or set all external connection security to the minimum)
Open the source.
Then open the one with the link in, bear in mind this is now a link to an open workbook. That should just silently update. But no… Instead on several machines for several users we get this:
Click Edit links to get to here:
Source not found? SOURCE NOT FOUND?? Its behind you you ejit!
Click close on here or continue on the previous one and it just updates the link. Next time they open the file the same problem occurs. Its like at the moment of open Excel just cannot understand the link, and gives up. I think its the same across all file formats, but we didn’t test fully. It occured for every file with an external link in.
I tried all the usual Excel based things to try and sort it but nothing worked. One of the sys support guys suggested it might be corrupt profiles. And sure enough, if those affected create a new profile by logging into a new machine then the problem goes away.
Dunno how or why, but if it happens to you hopefully you won’t waste as much time as we have before trying this.
If you have seen this issue then plese let us know how you fixed it.
Have a good weekend.