First off let me avoid a whole class of comment by saying that I personally think BI (Business Insight) offers real value when used effectively.
But it is still a lemon (this is not a good thing for anyone not familiar with English colloquisms) as an industry sector.
Here is why:
90% of spreadsheet users are just pointing and clicking
9% are happy doing their favourite index/offset/vlookup/indirect/external link magic and have no interest in learning a new technology, even if it will make a bunch of stuff easier for them. These may have a BI product but still use their fave spreadsheet app to do the heavy lifting.
0.9% used a BI product at a previous job, or want to introduce it anyway, but are blocked by some IT total blockage (‘No’) or major roadblock (‘identify and quantify the business costs, benefits and risks’)
0.1% are happily whizzing through work at 10-100 times faster than the other 99.9% (using a BI product), and with much better business insight. But no one outside this 0.1% listens to them so they are poor influencers. This group is declining in number.
Of course it doesn’t help that BI keeps trying to change its name to avoid the stigma attached to ‘BI’ and try and generate more press.
Its great technology but like so much stuff in the Office/information worker space, its provides potential benefits to a class of user that have no purchasing or configuration power. And that potential user has an ever harder battle on their hands to convince their IT dept to be proactive and make a change in the hope and expectation it will improve things.
It depts have several teams. The config team doesn’t want the hassle of the install, config maintenance and licensing. The dev team want the users to use their crappy in house .net/DB2/Oracle/job protection system. Until Jobserve is buckling under the job ads for BI specialists IT dev types will continue to be disinterested by it.
Dunno if this will change as we come out of the depression, I expect not. A few mega success stories, but plausible ones for a change might help. ‘How I cured world hunger by implimeting Essbase and clearing up in options’ might do it. I hope it does, because as I say I think there is major value in decent BI. but I think the class of user with the most to gain have little or no interest. Dunno why, fear change?
what Bo you think from what you see where you work and in other areas?