Some possible stages in the development of a system or a system developer…
- You are amazed the computer did what you told it, not what you wanted it to.
- You accept that any unexpected situation will kill your program, and there are lots of them
- You trap most unexpected things and throw up a message box, usually.
- You trap most unexpected things and stop gracefully, usually.
- You trap and log most unexpected things providing a non intrusive report/status
- You trap and recover successfully from many things, and log the rest.
- Nothing is unexpected, in a Zen like ‘if a system fails but no one notices, did it fail?’ way
- It moves to a SEP field (and here)
What did I miss?
Where do your systems normally end up?
What’s the highest you have reached?
Most of my quick and dirty stuff gets to a 4, production stuff gets to a 5 or 6 before skipping 7 and moving directly to 8.