I think I hit about a 30% success rate with my 2011 predictions, but I don’t feel the minor issue of being mainly wrong should prevent me from continuing the tradition…
In no particular order:
- Google market cap will surpass MS this year
- Office 15 will be released ( I don’t see them waiting until 2014, and I’m pretty confident they will skip 2013)
- Office dev still wont get sexy
- Less jobs, higher rates – we are the new COBOL devs.
- Minimal new spreadsheet risk projects – due to the next recession starting
- Europe and UK will officially enter recession
- A few countries may well leave the Euro
- A decent non Apple tablet will appear, probably not running Windows.
- Oracle will buy what’s left of HP
- Microsoft will buy or bail out Nokia, but Windows phone will still be minuscule.
- Excel contract rates will pick up in Q2, probably briefly, but I think the trend will be generally upwards
- The Excel Developer conference (book here) will be an outstanding success and we will run a more user oriented one in July in Manchester
- RIM will disappear, Oracle should buy them, but maybe Google or IBM. (Or Apple??)
- Android, in some flavour or another will be everywhere
- Apple will have another good year in 2012, but may start to lose some shine towards the end of the year.
- I think Ballmer will go (and not willingly!)
- Apple is sitting on a cash mountain, I’d like to see them buy Adobe or something, but I suspect they are looking more at cloud services, and (TV?) content providers
- I may have to buy my own Kindle. My Machiavellian plan to gift one to Mrs S that she would then not use, so I could ‘look after it’ appears to have failed – she hasn’t put it down yet!
- Many more Apple products are heading for the smurf residence in 2012
- I think there may be a new Visual Studio out – no idea about the VSTO story.
- Nikons next gen full frame DSLR will finally appear, which I will somehow have to justify buying.
- The world won’t end in 2012
That’s all I can think of for now. What do you think will be the big stories?
All the best for 2012